The electrical wiring of a home is an essential component of a home designed to last for a substantial amount of time. Still, it’s mainly hidden outside of what you can see from within your own home, which is why it can be difficult to understand that something is wrong with this system until it’s too late. Electrical wires and their insulation are degraded over time regardless of the material used. This can affect the efficiency of the wiring, but it can also turn into a significant problem. If left unchecked, what could have been a simple repair can turn into an expensive full home rewiring.
If you have noticed some hiccups in your home’s electrical wiring, then it might be prudent to think about home electrical repair before you are forced to rewire your entire home’s wiring. That being said, a full home rewire is certainly a bigger expense than a repair. Still, it also comes with the peace of mind that your home is safe from potential hazards, so be sure to consider your options after making an initial assessment. You should continue to read for some signs that your home is beyond simple repairs and instead in need of rewiring.
Although a home’s wiring system is constructed to last, any home over 50 years old and has not been given maintenance to its electrical wiring should be properly inspected by professionals to assess its current integrity. These older system designs are more often than not unable to support the energy needs of modern appliances and are therefore prone to fail. Old wiring is a significant source of house fires, so even if you feel that your old system is performing up to standard, you should have it inspected by professionals.
A persistent burning smell is a sign that your house wiring is faulty, as loose connections can create sparks that will burn wires, outlets, and nearby materials. This can manifest as scorch marks in an outlet, but if these marks are missing and the smell persists, then the problem might hide behind your walls or other places out of sight. This particular issue can be extremely hazardous and should be addressed by professionals immediately.
Circuit breakers serve as a failsafe that protects your home from damage caused for overcurrents by shutting down the power to your home. However, if you find that these are frequently tripping, it might be a sign that your home’s wiring needs some attention. This type of issue could be caused by significant wire damage that has left your home vulnerable to even the smallest electrical surges.
Suppose you are experiencing flickering lights in your home and have already ensured that a faulty lightbulb is not causing the issue. In that case, you should consider talking to an electrician about the problem as it could be caused by loose wiring, a possible sign of more serious trouble with your house wiring.
Frayed wires are more than just a mere eyesore, and this issue is also a potential fire hazard for your home. A frayed wire is hazardous as it can create short circuits and potentially start an electrical fire inside your home, which is why a frayed wire can be a sign that your home’s wiring system is in drastic need of professional help.
A surefire sign that your home’s electrical wiring needs professional attention is a blocked outlet or an outlet that doesn’t allow appliances to plug in seamlessly. A blocked outlet is a symptom of something wrong with your wiring, and a rewiring might be in order. Furthermore, a blocked outlet is dangerous since it can cause electricity to arc to you and give you an electric shock.
At Toth Electric, our primary focus is to ensure that we complete every project to the client's expectations.
No matter what your electrical needs are, Toth Electric has the experience and knowledge to guarantee quality service.
If you are experiencing any of the above situations or you have a general sense of needing our expert opinion on your home's electrical, please call us or schedule an appointment at the link below.